Follow me on Instagram

Instagram

Monday 17 June 2013

Re-starting the Blog! Sad news to start :(

Hello there blog-land, its been a while! I have to admit i started this blog over a year ago halfheartedly and haven't really given it much thought.. . till now!
So much has gone on since April last year when i started this blog, my favorite person in the whole world, my Granddad was diagnosed with cancer in November 2011 a day before my 21st birthday, awful time for the whole family and especially for my Granddad. He was all set to have an operation on Christmas Eve to remove his tumor so we had Christmas the week before (little did we know this was the last one he would be here for,) His Op was actually cancelled and rescheduled for new years eve and it went as well as it could. After a few weeks, an infection in his wound, many a bump in the road to recovery he could finally come home, we thought this was the road to recovery and light at the end of the tunnel . . it wasn't :(
One day he went to a hospital appointment a routine thing, they were asked to go down to a small room where they told him the cancer was a fast spreading type and he already had secondaries. He couldn't have Chemotherapy whilst his wound was still infected so he had to wait, they said chemo may give him a few weeks or months on top of the 8+ weeks they thought he had left. After everything he had been through my brave Granddad opted to enjoy his last few weeks without the chemo as it could make him too ill to enjoy doing anything and may not of even given him more time. We had family from Wales and all over come to visit and spend time with him, and on the 26th June 2012 he went from talking and been up and dressed on the Sunday to been hooked up to a syringe driver of morphine and no communication 3 days later. In my job as a care assistant i see it a lot, people coming home to die and having carers to help, but we looked after my Granddad at home between us. On Wednesday the 27th June 2012 when everyone had gone to bed and i was doing my shift of sitting up watching him, his breathing began to change, by 11.58 he was hardly breathing at all and as their old grandfather clock chimed midnight he took his final breath :( Just me and him in the room, i felt so privileged to be the one with him, he really was my best friend/father/granddad/hero all rolled into one!
Always been my hero from day 1!


Favorite place to be as a child - granddads shoulder <3 
 It wasn't till i had woken everyone up and we all said our goodbyes that my Gran realized that it was exactly a year to the minutes that her sister passed away from the same type of cancer. . . i'm really not one for believing in spiritual things and afterlife but the fact that when my great aunt passed away my granddad was healthy and hadn't even been diagnosed with cancer and exactly one year on he joined her, i would really like to think that she saw hi suffering and came down to get him the anniversary of her death, whatever makes grief easier eh?! Anyway i'm really not sure why i have chosen such a sad post as my first dive back into blogging but it just felt like everything has revolved around that since i neglected my blog and i needed to get it off my chest somewhere. Here's some photos of me and my Hero! RIP Gerald Reville Wood. Gone but never forgotten <3
Their Golden Wedding Anniversary - i am wearing the wedding dress my gran wore  on her wedding day  (for photo purposes only lol)


No comments:

Post a Comment